5.22.2009

Daily Vacation: The Importance of QT's in My Life

Why is it so easy to drop everything and hop in the car to go meet a friend for an hour, and yet finding the time (or making the time) to spend some uninterrupted time with God seems to constantly slip off the schedule?

One of the best privileges of having a personal relationship with God is just that, making it personal! When I can regularly dig into scripture and make time for prayer, I notice a drastic change in my daily life. My attitude improves, I'm less irritable, I feel more productive and I'm less prone to feel lethargic and lazy about my to-do list, I'm nicer to Eric, I feel happier, I'm more optimistic about life situations and stress, I gain a clear understanding of the big picture and I roll with the punches. I would go so far as to say it affects my entire life.

Much like skipping a meal makes your blood sugar drop, skipping out on fellowship with God, which we were created for, slowly strips away your spiritual vitality. I know this and I have experienced it so many times, and yet I am still struggling from time to time to make this a priority. It's something that is important to me but remains difficult to prioritize. I need my daily vacation from life! Without it, I turn into someone I don't like, and over time it feels like my heart grows cold. When I do meet consistently with Him, I am renewed. The difference is as tangible as applying or removing a flame from a pot of water - either the water boils or it doesn't. The heat may not be visible, but the proof is in the bubbles.

Have you ever seen the commercials for Quaker Oats where people talk about their sinking cholesterol levels? They say "I'm living proof." Ladies and gentleman who question that 1) God is real or 2) God is active.... "I'm living proof." No other person, thing, or practice has such power to change my whole being in such a dramatic fashion. To deny God would be to deny this visible phenomenon.

Today I read an article to remind myself of these things.... it helps to hear it from someone else, especially someone who really knows what they are talking about. Married couples sometimes need to sit back and think about the reasons they fell in love. I also wanted to reminisce about my reasons for wanting to make this commitment in the first place - that is - my commitment to spend time daily with God. After a little "googling" I found a very good article (albeit long) on Bible.org. You can read it here: The Quiet Time: What, Why and How, by Greg Herrick Th.M., Ph.D.

[As a side note: If you are unfamiliar with the term "quiet time" it simply means time set aside to read and meditate on scripture (the bible), pray, journal; basically whatever medium you use to focus on building a stronger relationship with Jesus. ]

God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful. 1 Corinthians 1:9

Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8

No comments:

Post a Comment