8.27.2009

The Baby Whisperer

In my family, we refer to Barry White as the "baby whisperer." It started in the car on the way to a friend's house. My baby was really tired, but was too fussy to fall asleep. The radio was all commercials and silence was unbearable with a screaming baby in the backseat. Shuffling through the glove compartment, I came across a CD I had completely forgotten about. Barry White's Greatest Hits. No sooner did the word "baby" slip out of the car's speakers in Barry's signature velvety deep voice, when my pumpkin promptly fell asleep without an ounce of protest.

Don't ask me why I had Barry White sitting in my glove compartment; I'll never tell. And don't ask me why Barry White is so good at putting babies to sleep; I'll never understand it myself. Ever since that day, Barry White has been our go-to-guy when our little man is fussy. Barry never fails us. His CD is always packed when we're planning a long car trip. In a pinch, we'll create a "Barry White" station on Pandora. Our favorite lyric repeats something we find ourselves saying all the time as new parents:

"Baby, sweet baby... what am I going to do with you?"

The only problem we have with Barry White is the nature of his music. Barry White is great for babies. I believe there are a lot of babies out there who wouldn't be here today if it weren't for Barry White. I'm just not sure I want my little boy singing about how those babies got here, if you catch my drift. I wish he sang about horses, angels, lambs and twinkling stars. If he had put out a lullaby album during his lifetime, I bet it would have made it onto every pregnant woman's registry.

I'll keep turning to Barry when my baby's got the blues, but in the meantime I'll be looking for a replacement. Any suggestions?

1 comment: