8.06.2009

A Visit from the Great Grandparents!

This week my dad's parents drove across the Midwest to visit and meet Micah for the first time. I have to admit I was a little worried in the weeks leading up to their visit. You see, up until about a week ago, Micah was pitching a fit whenever anyone would try to hold him... except for me. He would be fine for a few minutes, then suddenly his eyes would widen and his bottom lip would curl. Tears would brim and in seconds he would go from cooing to screaming at a volume that would likely burst your eardrum if you stood too close.



Then one day, Micah woke up and decided he was no longer a one woman man. Now he is a little charmer, talking and smiling at whoever carries him around... as long as they hold him the way he likes. I mentioned yesterday that it's "his way or the highway," well this especially applies to how he wants to be held. He used to enjoy snuggling with his head tucked into your neck or looking over your shoulder. Now he strongly prefers to be carried facing out with his legs dangling so he can see everything in front of him and wiggle at will.

He can still burst your eardrum if you happen to be nearby when he gets a wet diaper. If he is playing and happy, and then all of a sudden he starts screaming like someone pinched him, chances are he has just wet himself. It is during these moments of near hearing loss that I close my eyes and envision a potty seat sitting upon a golden throne with angels singing hallelujah in the background. I look forward to ditching the diapers for smiley stickers and m&ms and ninja turtle underwear. (Do they still make ninja turtle underwear?)

Anyway, back to the visit from the Great Grandparents... it was a joy to see my granny hold my son, play with him, and rock him to sleep. I am so blessed. Micah has gotten to meet all four of his Great Grandmothers and two of his Great Grandpas. I don't think I ever got to meet any of my great grandparents, even as an infant. Four generations gathered around the patio table to enjoy my dad's amazing beef tenderloin, seven layer salad, cheesy potato casserole, corn on the cob and Sprecher soda on Tuesday night. I really wish we all lived closer together. My Grandparents are heading back home tomorrow morning and it will likely be a very long time before we see them again. If my sister ends up moving in the fall as planned, we're really going to be spread out. We better make the most out of August and September!

1 comment:

  1. It is so tough to live far from family! You are incredibly blessed to have your mom nearby as you raise Micah...I'm sure you are well aware of that! But it can still be sad to have other family far away. My extended family mostly lives in Oklahoma, so none of them have had a chance to meet Lydia. Makes you really wish someone would invent a teleporter, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete